Are you overwhelmed while memorizing ITTO ? Wondering what to remember and what not ?.
You are in the right place. This article will help you with PMP ITTO (Inputs , Tools and Techniques and Ouputs). There are few processes where you have to memorize, which we have listed below. For remaining a general understanding is enough. Check out the Tips and techniques below for each knowledge area. This will help you answer most PMP questions without having the need to memorize all ITTO.
- Tools and Techniques are same for all the processes, except Develop Project charter has “Project Selection Methods” and Monitoring and Control project work has “Earned value technique”.
- Remember there is no Expert Judgement in Direct and Execute project Work.
- Scope Definition TT is APES ( Alternatives Identificaiton, Product Analysis, Expert Judgement and Stakeholder Analysis )
- Scope Verification has only one TT which is Inspection. The only other place where you will find Inspection as TT is in Quality Control process.
- Activity Attributes is updated in all the process except in Activity Definition where it is created.
- Memorize TT for Schedule Development
- Activity Definition TT are PERTD ( Planning component, Expert Judgement, Rolling wave planning, Templates, Decomposition )
- Schedule Control TT are PS PS PV ( Progress reporting Schedule Change control System, Performance Measurement,Schedule comparision Bar charts, PM software Variance analysis )
- Memorize TT For Cost Estimating. Remember that this overlaps with Activity Duration Estimate process.
- Cost budgeting has Funding Limit Reconcilation as TT which produces output Project funding requirements
- Cost Management plan is updated in Cost Estimating process
- Quality Planning creates 3 plans in output and 3 other outputs which start with Quality.
- TT for Quality planning is ABCDC
- QC has all the outputs of QA + 6 more outputs.
- There are 10 TT for QC. Out of which there are 7 Tools for QC. Remember Inspection appears as TT here and only other place it appears is in Scope verification
- HR – Constraints for HR Planning are C E O ( Collective bargaining agreements, Economic condition and Organizaiton Structure )
- First 4 processes have only one output.
- Risk Register is updated in all the processes after its created.
- We recommed that you memorize ITTO for Risk Management process
- This is a tough chapter and we recommend you keep your focus here and try and memorize as much as you can.
This is the best way to address ITTO. You should try to memorize it at artifact level, instead of process level. Meaning you should know everything that happens with Project Charter, WBS, Contract and so on. If you remember this then you will be able to answer many questions in exams.
- Project Charter is input for only following:
Preliminary Scope Statement
- Resource Calendars – There may be questions in exam asking you about resource calendar. You should remember that it is
- Input for Activity Duration Estimates, Schedule Development and Cost Budgeting
- Activity Resrouce Estimates have Resource calendars as outputs.
- Project Calendar: Talking about calendars, remember that project calendar is updated in Schedule Development.
- Scope Statement – is input to all the planning processes after its created except
- Activity Resources Estimating
- HR Planning
- Risk Resonse Planning
- Plan Contracting
remember that Scope Statement is updated in Integrated Change control process, Create WBS and Scope control
- WBS and WBS dictionary are inputs to
- Scope control
- Activity Definition
- Cost Estimating
- Cost Budgetting
- Plan Purchases and Acquisitions
Remember that Scope Verification only has WBS Dictionary as input not WBS.
- All Monitoring and Control Processes Except ( Integration Management & Manage Stakeholders ) will have following 4 outputs:
- Requested Changes
- Recommeded Corrective Actions
- Project Management plan ( Updates) ( Except in Performance Reporting )
- Organizational Process Assets ( Updates)
- PAW – Scope control, Cost Control, Risk Monitoring and control and Contract Administration processes have PAW in Inputs 🙂 . PAW stands for Performance Reporting, Approved change requests and Work Performance Information. The other M & C Processes have two of PAW inputs except ( Integration Management & Manage Stakeholders )
- You can remember this as SCRC has PAW
- Recommeded Preventive Actions: This occurs in only 4 processes – Monitor and Control Project work, Risk Monitoring and Control, Quality control and Manage project team.
- Recommeded Defect Repair is output of only two processes
- M & C project work
- Quality Control
- Cost of Quality – Input to Quality Planning and TT For Cost Estimating.
- Forecasts are outputs of M & C project work and Performance Reporting
- Forecasted completion is output of Cost control and input to Performance Reporting
- Forecasting is TT for Cost Control
- Five outputs of Direct and Manage Project Execution are inputs to Quality Assurance namely
- Implemented Change requests,
- Implemented Corrective actions
- Implemented Preventive actions
- Implemented Defect Repair.
- Work Performance Information.
- Contract which is output of Select Selles process is input to Contract Administration and Cost budgeting